Tuesday 21 August 2007

Frank in the Bank

So them helpful people at my bank back home told me I can not withdraw cash in Oz…I have to go into the bank with my passport and driving licence to with draw money grrrrr.

So I headed down to my new bank (ANZ) for the first time since opening the account on Monday, first of all I forgot my passport then had to run back and get it, so I get in there at 3.50pm (it shuts at 4pm). And shortly after I get to the counter a mentalist walks in (think it was autism…proper Rain Man type) and he’s scratching his ears shouting for $250….
A women is following him round asking for ID…and he’s just screaming I want $250….as everyone pretends he’s not there. On his rucksack he has “Frank Blacker” & a phone number written on it.

Then he starts banging on the plastic window that separates the cashiers from the public….he then walks off as if he is leaving. On the way out he walks into a side office and goes into a draw, and comes out with a few dollars. The woman shouts that its her money so a Jim Robinson lookalike (full head of hair thou) grabs him and gets him in a hold. This send “Frank” wild and he’s screaming his head off. I walked over to help Jim restrain Frank…as I walk away from the counter. The shutters FLY UP!.......BANG! my passport drivers licence and money is all now stuck behind a metal window…

I get over to Frank who is screaming and start asking him to calm down and count to 10…which he starts to do but is shouting…then tell him to do it a bit quieter and breathing at the same time….we get him to sit in a chair and I get his bag off for someone to call the number on the bag. Then the cops arrive and have no idea how to talk to Frank but then 2 more cops turn up and one of them realizes he needs to talk quietly and calmly to him…after 40mins stuck in the bank the screens come down and I can get my money and stuff….as I walk past the cops i tell Frank to be good for the cop’s and his carer / parent is apparently on the way. The woman says thanks for your help and I head off to buy a ironing board!

3 comments:

matt said...

All in a days work eh!
"Crisis averted. No charge."

Anonymous said...

cartwright, you're my hero xx

Mr Axl said...

P.P.S. You can put any website adress in. Doesn't have to be a blog.